Africa’s Top 50 Safari Parks17/06/2015
SafariBookings.com, an online marketplace for African safaris, published a definitive ranking of the 50 best Safari parks of Africa based on more than 3,000 reviews.
A total of 2,234 reviews were contributed by safari tourists from 63 countries. Another 774 park reviews were written by renowned experts, including guidebook authors from Lonely Planet, Rough Guides, Frommer’s, Bradt and Footprint. These results include both first time and experienced safari-goers.
Tanzania’s Serengeti swept first place with an impressive rating of 4.89 out of 5, followed by South Africa’s MalaMala Game Reserve, and Okavango Delta in Botswana. South Africa held four of the top ten spots, more than any other country; however, its Kruger National Park only ranked 20th, which was a great surprise, as Kruger is highly regarded in the safari industry.
Serengeti was rated best for its variety of wildlife, abundance of predators, and spectacular wildebeest migration. Legendary MalaMala Game Reserve offers some of the best wildlife viewing of Africa, and its luxury lodges cater the rich and famous.
Okavango Delta is regarded for its scenic beauty. Its annual flooding transforms this otherwise desert area into a wildlife paradise of tranquil waterways. Kenya has almost 17% of the top 50 parks, but only the Masai Mara National Reserve is in the top 10. Zimbabwe’s Mana Pools was ranked 4th, which is significant when looking at all 138 parks that were considered for this top list.
- The full top 50 list is available at https://www.safaribookings.com/blog/258/
- In total, 138 parks of all 8 major safari countries were included in the study (Botswana, Kenya, Namibia, South Africa, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia and Zimbabwe)
- Only parks known for classic wildlife viewing safaris were considered. Parks mostly known for their scenery or typical gorilla/chimp tracking parks were not included.
- Parks with less than 10 reviews were excluded from the top 50.
- The overall review score of a park consists of 50% expert reviews and 50% user reviews.
- The reviews of individual Sabi Sands reserves were merged into one overall Sabi Sands rating, since those reserves collectively brand themselves as the Sabi Sand Game Reserve.